This page has moved to a new address.

Juju Hexus

body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Juju Hexus

Still reeling from the devastating 49ers defeat this past weekend.  Thought the original Wiggles reforming might've tempered the disappointment and disgust.  No such luck.  I take sports seriously.  My wife is just learning this.  To her, sports are a trifling interest, a mild curiosity, like when one's favorite dancer fails to advance to the next round of America's Next Talentless Tart or whatever those shows are she watches where people suddenly burst into song.  (I don't get it.  Cop Rock was retarded enough the first time it was on.)


My lovely wife can't understand how a team losing can ruin my night, next day, sometimes even ensuing weeks, months.  She says she's never seen it before.  I tried explaining it to her, and then we got in a fight, and I said that this is what happens when you date a man with actual testicles.  She said that was mean.  Perhaps it was. But in my defense, Justine had kicked me out of the basement, where I'd gone to watch the NFC Championship Game, and where the 49ers had just taken the lead. See what I'm saying?  When I went to the basement, the 9ers were losing.  When she kicked me out, they were winning.  My wife had just fucked with sports juju. And every guy knows, you don't fuck with sports juju.


I've tried to explain this to a number of ex-girlfriends and -wives.  They never get it, how I can control the outcome of games through my sheer focus, determination, will, and of course my vast array of hexes.  I remember the time one girlfriend came out in the middle of a marathon extra inning ballgame and caught me putting a hex on an opposing pitcher*.  Sitting there in my boxers, chain-smoking, and wiggling my fingers at a TV screen, I am sure I looked pretty silly.  To a woman.  But when I explained the scene to all my dude friends, they were like "Of course.  It was extra innings."

                                                         *Every guy does it.  Apparently they even sell hexes on the Internet these days. 

There are a lot of theories out there posited by eggheads about sports being a substitute for war.  But they're eggheads.  It's what they do, overanalyzing and trying to quantify, not getting laid and being all eggheady.  It's not that complicated, really.  It starts early on, a man's love of sports.  It's how we determine pecking order on the blacktop, a subversion of the weak, a championing of the strong, which later translates to who scores the prettiest girls, because this shit is hardwired.  The ability to dunk a basketball or throw a 40-yard spiral registers on a cellular level with the ladies and makes 'em all squishy.  Only the strong survive and all that. Which I suppose is sorta like war, if you want to break it down to a raping-and-pillage kind of existence.  But, again, I'll leave that to the eggheads.

Now I know there are some dudes out there who don't care about sports, and that's cool.  I mean, we probably can't be friends or anything.  Which I don't think will break anyone's heart.  I can get pretty moody, and I don't like letting people borrow my shit anyway.  I went through this phase where I thought, since I was an artist, I should pretend to revile competitive athletics.  This period, which took place in the early '90s, coincided with my going vegetarian and thinking yoga was an acceptable form of exercise.  It was about the time I got the "Peace, Love, and Understanding" tattoo on my left biceps.  But I was young, impressionable, didn't know any better.


Of course, Justine is a vegetarian.  Even worse, when we started dating she was...vegan.  Fighting to keep my boy from developing the pasty, unhealthy pallor of the undead and grow up a normal*, healthy carnivore was not an easy one.  But it was one I knew I had to take on.  Which made moments like yesterday morning, where my boy ate three hearty sausage links dipped in extra butter, that much sweeter.


*It's true.  Check it out.  Man was meant to eat meat.  My biology teacher at City College told me so.

It's funny, in a way, since I've spent so much of my life running from the stereotypical machismo of my old man and the close-minded rigidity of the East Coast.  Yet, here in my old age (41.  Don't let the rakish features and crisp, flinty glow fool you), I find myself embracing these ideals.  Maybe it's not funny, this returning to one's roots, since it's a natural inclination to go back to where it all began.  Like elephants going to die.  Not geographically, necessarily.  No offense to my Berlin friends, but I don't think I could live anywhere without a Whole Foods and grass-fed, organic meats.

I was raised on sports.  Wasn't very good at them.  Loved baseball but couldn't hit the hook.  Tried football but was too spacey to remember all those plays. And I was smaller back then, my rage not yet fully focused.  Even boxed a year in college.  I think I would've been an OK boxer if I had the discipline I do now.  But I didn't then.  And now I'm too old.  I've always been too pretty for the sport anyway.

My lack of athletic prowess, however, did not stop my rabid fandom, and more importantly my need to compete, excel, and vanquish.  And if you are powerless to determine the outcome on the field of play by actually playing, you learn to impact the game in other ways.

I haven't read the Hart Seely book, whose cover I use above, but if the book description on Amazon is accurate, it sounds fucking awesome (and totally true):

Did you know there is a secret to winning ballgames? It’s not players, managers, money, or luck. It’s the fans’ juju, and no one knows it better than Hart Seely. Seely has spent a lifetime practicing the art of juju from his living room and winning ballgames for the New York Yankees. He paces floors. He yells at defenseless TVs. He rallies the team like Churchill addressing the collective British soul. All this to harness juju energy to influence the outcome of games. And it works.


In this uproarious, unforgettable fan confessional, Seely shares the secrets of juju for the beginner—“Setting the Table,” asking for a called strike instead of a walk-off homer—to advanced juju—“Bringing the Neg,” predicting bad events to keep them from actually happening—to the deepest, darkest secrets of this age-old art. Nostalgic, heartwarming, and laugh-out-loud funny, The Juju Rules is a memoir of a life well lived in service to one’s team that shows how love can be a powerful passion in the best way.

And all this time I thought it was just I who was willing the Yankees to victory. Apparently, I haven't been walking this path alone.  Kind of like Jesus and those footprints.

If you watched the 49er debacle on Sunday and you are looking for whom to blame, you might want to start with the obvious and return man Kyle Williams for buttering up his palms with olive oil before each punt, or you may choose to flex a little football knowledge and highlight Greg Roman's refusal to work the middle of the field with any semblance of a crossing pattern, or you could point a finger at Michael Crabtree's puppy love with the Giant D-backs and his utter inability to maintain any degree of separation.  Then there is always my personal favorite whipping boy, Alex "Whiskey Dick" Smith, whose O-fer 3rd down conversation percentage staggers beyond paltry (sorry, Whiskey Dick, you don't get credit for the last play in regulation when the Giants effectively let you have the underneath).  But the truth is the loss falls squarely on my shoulders.  OK. Technically, my wife's, for kicking me out of my own basement. But I know the power of juju, not her.  It's just that, for a moment, I doubted it.  And that doubt cost a city a chance to celebrate a fifth Super Bowl appearance, an opportunity to revel in excellence and send that mole-faced Eli Manning back underground for the winter where he belongs; and for that, San Francisco, I am sorry.  

Not that Kyle Williams, Greg Roman, Michael Crabtree, and Alex Smith shouldn't all go get fucked.  And not in the good way. 


Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At January 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And this is why I am forever turning on and off Florida State games, trying to figure out if my juju is good or bad that day, and at least trying not to make them lose because of me. I didn't know about the hexes, though! Thanks!

 
At January 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM , Blogger Joe Clifford said...

Oh, yes, you must utilize the hexes. Otherwise you are not using all your powers. (Though the "turning off the station" often proves quite effective. Once I began doing that last Sunday the Giants failed to convert a single 3rd down. Some thought it was the adjustments Harbaugh made at halftime, but I'm pretty sure it was me.) It's pretty complicated, the hexing. Actually, it's not. You can give good "juju" or bad "juju." I find that projecting my wiggling fingers outward produces the most bang for your buck, while a stiff, consistent wiggling inward takes away "mojo" from the opposition. (Oh, and praying to God if you are Tim Tebow often works too.)

 
At January 24, 2012 at 11:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always think of this when I think of girls who like football:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/3a1707c621/sunday-afternoon-girlfriend

When I first met Noel, I was wrong about him. He seemed like a lean mean tattooed artistic person. Turns out he's a gamer and he loves, I mean loves football.

So football = strange disappearances and/or mutterings from husband.

I tried to pretend to like it when I was in my early twenties, to show solidarity...and I even kept up with it for a while. Didn't last long.

To your credit, you write about football in a way that is...almost...literary...and held my interest for an entire post even though I had no idea what you were talking about with individual plays.

 
At January 24, 2012 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Joe Clifford said...

That's good. "Sports" posts are always dangerous (which is why I do my utmost to avoid them!). It's hard to write about something I'm so passionate about and not get bogged down in the minutia of the game that can turn so many people off. Glad it didn't bore you!

 
At January 24, 2012 at 1:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, another technique I've had success with is turning off the sound when the other "team" is on offensive. This is critical if, god forbid, they are sustaining a drive or make some spectacular high-yardage play. It helps drain their momentum and will to live. Also, it provides an energy block to keep them (the blood-sucking leeches) from feeding off your anxiety and rage.

 
At January 24, 2012 at 1:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

*offense

 
At January 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM , Blogger cmb said...

Some of your best writing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home