This page has moved to a new address.

I Shot the Sheriff

body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I Shot the Sheriff

Back when I was a junkie, I was a nightmare for my mother, I mean, a rotten, rotten kid.  I think of all that I put the woman through and shudder.  Seriously.  Especially now that I have Holden (who is helpog mye yype th--).

Payback is a bitch.

*

I'd come back east frequently, because I needed to recharge the battery.  That's what I'd tell myself.  Can only stay out there so long before you need to recharge the battery, get a little rest so you can get high again, a li'l "r 'n' r," even junkies need a vacation (or as my sister and the younger, hipper generation like to say "va-kay"). But it was never really much of a choice.  I'd come back home when San Francisco didn't want me anymore.  Usually this coincided with an eviction.  I've always respected clear delineation.

As you might imagine, I got kicked out of a few places--Hepatitis Heights, the Batcave, Wes's trailer, Third Street Studios.  Plus arrests and incarceration.  Throw in divorces and trips to rehab, and I was back at mom's a lot.

And it was always nice to come back home.  My mom, saint that she was could never say no, and it's not like I didn't start with the best of intentions.  And I did love my mother, dearly.  I liked seeing her.  She and I always had a special bond, my being first born, even when I was fucking up.  I'd think, This is gonna be the time.  I've got it now.  Just need to get away from these mean streets.  Once I can't get anything, what else can I do?

Of course, wherever you go, there you are; and a junkie can always find shit.  Be like a pirate thinking if he just sails a different sea, maybe he won't feel the need to plunder.

Rehab or not, within weeks it was business as usual.  I'd find someway to score, either from friends back in SF and the pony express, or a local connect in Hartford. And I'd be off.  Only now, I'd have a comfy bed and food--lots of food--and cable TV, and a wide-open yard and my childhood home, whose basement/shooting gallery was bigger than most of the places I'd been living in.

And I'd be up to my usual shenanigans--stealing, hocking, bartering, stealing--and something was always going wrong.  You could see it on my mother's face any time I walked through the front door: what had I done this time?  Like when I walked back with a giant red welt on the side of my neck because "some kids threw a rock at me while I was napping in the park," and when I'd borrowed her car and "when I came back from getting cigarettes, I must've left the door unlocked, because someone stole your phone."

But I never lost my sense of humor.  I mean, if you can't laugh, you're gonna cry, right?

*

I'd been gone for a couple days with my mom's car.  Hadn't called.  Must've been over a weekend, because I don't think I'd have made her miss work.  I must've looked like shit.  I always looked like shit--woefully underweight (even with all that food), dark circles under my eyes (which I've had since birth, but that were about 1,000 times worse strung out), some strange skin condition from all the picking, that ghostly blueish hue to my gray pallor, and my rotting teeth.

She was sitting in the living room.

"Mom," I said.  "I'm so sorry."  I was breathing heavily, worked up.

"Oh, my God," she said, "what? what?  What did you do now?"

Pausing for dramatic effect, I said, "I shot the sheriff."  I laughed.  "But, Mom, I swear it was in self-defense.  And I promise, I didn't kill the deputy."

"You're an asshole, Joey."

*

Someday Holden is going to be older, and his mischief is not going to be limited to interrupting my non-existent writing career.  He will be...a teenager.  And payback will be a bitch.  And when I start moaning, why, oh, why is my boy causing me such aggravation?  Please, feel free to remind me of this story.

3 Comments:

At April 6, 2011 at 10:24 AM , Blogger Soybean said...

You never stole from me. Or did you?

 
At April 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM , Blogger Joe Clifford said...

How many copies of the Third Man did you used to have?

 
At April 7, 2011 at 7:17 PM , Blogger Greg Kim said...

Our poor mothers, God love them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home